Upgrade Posit Workbench#
RStudio is now Posit!
Our professional products have been renamed to Posit Connect, Posit Workbench, Posit Package Manager, Posit Cloud, and Posit Academy so it’s easier for folks to understand that we support more than just R. Please review our Blog post/FAQ to answer commonly asked questions about the rebrand.
These instructions describe the configuration requirements and how to upgrade Posit Workbench, formerly RStudio Workbench and RStudio Server Pro1.
If you want to upgrade from Open Source to Workbench
For Open Source to Workbench:
- If you currently have RStudio Server Open Source installed and want to upgrade to RStudio Workbench, then please follow the procedures available in the Upgrading from Open Source to Workbench section of the support article.
To upgrade to RStudio Workbench versions 2021.09.0 or greater, you must meet certain requirements and may be required to perform incremental upgrades.
If you perform an upgrade of Workbench, and an existing version of the server is currently running, then the upgrade process will also ensure that active sessions are immediately migrated to the new version.
This includes the following behavior:
- Running R sessions are suspended so that future interactions with the server automatically launch the updated R session binary
- Currently, connected browser clients are notified that a new version is available and automatically refresh themselves.
- The core server binary is restarted
Your Current Version#
To get started:
- Please note the version of RStudio Server Pro or RStudio Workbench
- Navigate to the applicable section below.
RStudio Server Pro <1.4#
If you are running RStudio Server Pro versions prior to 1.4, then you:
- First, you must upgrade to version 1.4: Upgrade to RStudio Workbench 1.4 procedures
- Then, you can upgrade to the newest versions of Workbench.
RStudio Server Pro / RStudio Workbench 1.4+#
If you are running RStudio Server Pro or RStudio Workbench version 1.4, or greater and want to upgrade to the newest versions of Workbench, then you may continue to:
For more information about upgrading RStudio Workbench, navigate to section 2.1.6 Upgrading to a New Version of the Admin Guide.
For addition information about Upgrading to a later version of RStudio Server, please reference this Support Article.
You may still find references to “RStudio” in our documentation, and some of those are expected! Several of our open source products like the RStudio IDE will retain their original names, while our professional products’ names have changed to “Posit”, e.g., Posit Connect. To minimize user confusion, past versions of our professional products will go by their old names until they are no longer supported. For more information about our product names, please see the rebranding blog post. ↩